Monday, September 14

Chapter 2: Jet-Lag Rears Its Ugly Head

When Dana and I piled out bags into a taxi and handed the driver the address of our school, we had a pretty clear plan: check in at Lorenzo de' Medici school, get our keys to our apartment, and crash. Little did we know, we were hours away from sweet, sweet sleep.

After a terrifying ride in what can only be described as a death cab, we somehow got out alive in front of our new school.. give or take a couple confusing blocks. We checked in, got our apartment address and a map to find it, and headed outside. Looking at the map, we only lived about three or four blocks away from the school, so we decided to walk (this was also because our first cab ride had cost us 25 euro, about 40 American dollars, and we weren't interest in paying any more). So we headed out in search of our new residence. Keep in mind, we had been traveling for over 36 hours with NO sleep, making us deliriously jet-lagged, we were sweating profusely in the unbelievably hot Italian weather, and we were both carrying extremely heavy backpacks in addition to pushing and pulling two suitcases, weighing about 50 pounds each. When when I say pushing and pulling, I do mean both- because Italian sidewalks are so bumpy and narrow that we had to have one suitcase in front of us and one behind us.

I don't think I can accurately describe the physical hell that was the next two hours, except to say that several times throughout our exhausted, confused, sweaty, painful trek, I genuinely wanted to lay down on the sidewalks of Florence and pass out, hoping I could just catch a ride home from an ambulance. We got lost and disoriented more times than I can count, the noise of our our embarrassing suitcase wheels was deafening as locals stopped and stared at us passing by, and NO ONE that we asked for help could speak English, or point us in the right direction.

I would like to forget this part as soon as possibly, so I'll wrap it up here and just say that eventually, we did find our new home... and three flights of narrow cement stairs to carry our luggage up. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment